Meat Free Mondays have been a mainstay in our home for a while and we’re always looking for new recipes to try, but sometimes we just create them ourselves. My wife made the suggestions that turned into this “pizza” and we were very happy with the results. It’s also much healthier than a traditional pizza and includes an entire bag of baby spinach. We love these types of recipes because we don’t feel as guilty enjoying them.
As I’ve said many times, please enjoy this recipe as it’s written or make it your own. Use the ingredients you prefer, but just try to keep it healthy. I would also suggest that, if you’ve never tried it, you give Meat Free Monday a try. It’s only one day a week, but every little change can make a big difference in the world we live in. Enjoy!
Meat Free Monday Naan Pizza
- 1 bag of baby spinach, cleaned and dried
- 1 red onion
- A 2-pack of garlic naan bread
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1Tbsp. butter (unsalted)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- If you have a pizza stone, place it on the lower rack of your oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F). If you don’t have a pizza stone, use an inverted sheet pan. You need a flat surface.
- Remove the skin of the onion and cut it into half moons. Put 1 Tbsp. of butter and about 1-2 Tbsp. of EVOO into a nonstick pan and turn the heat to medium low. Once it’s heated, add the onion, as well as salt and pepper to taste, and cook it slowly for 15-20 minutes to caramelize them (DO NOT burn them). A few minutes before removing them from the heat, add the balsamic vinegar so that it sweetens up before the onions are taken off of the heat. When they are finished, use a slotted spoon (removes a good amount of the oil) and place them into a bowl to cool slightly.
- In the same nonstick pan with the leftover oil, add in the spinach, as well as salt and pepper to taste, and cook until wilted (3-5 minutes). Once the spinach is wilted, use a slotted spoon (removes any liquid) and place it into a bowl to cool slightly.
- Take the two naan breads and place them onto a sheet of parchment paper that is sitting on a pizza peel or inverted sheet pan. Spread the onion mixture onto the bread. Now, add the spinach and dot it evenly with the goat cheese. Drizzle a little EVOO over them and place them in the oven for 7 minutes to cook.
- When finished, remove them from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before enjoying them.